I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Soccer and Brain Injury

Concussions have gotten a lot of media coverage in recent years, with the epidemic of the brain injury in the NFL and other contact sports.  Studies indicate that frequent "heading" of a soccer ball may damage children's brains: Heading Ball 'could lead to brain damage.'  However, soccer is an excellent recreational activity, as it helps with cardiovascular fitness, dynamic balance, gross motor development (mostly in younger players), teamwork, following rules, and learning sportsmanship.  If your child plays soccer, I would discourage intentionally heading the ball too frequently and recommend that you discuss this with your child's pediatrician.

No comments:

Post a Comment