I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Pediatric PT Toolkit - Bubbles!



As inexpensive and simple as they may be, I love using bubbles during my therapy sessions.  It doesn't hurt that most young children love bubbles, as well!

Here's how I like to use bubbles:
  •  Blow bubbles, then have kids practice kicking them to help them with single-leg balance.  As their balance improves, have them stomp on them.
  • Likewise, older children can jump on the bubbles to pop them.
  • Give kids a paddle or racket and have them work on hand-eye coordination by whacking the bubbles.
  • Blow a bubble, then catch it on the wand.  You now can control the height of the bubble, so children can practice standing up on their toes to pop it.
  • I also use them as a reward.  If children perform a PT-directed task, they can be rewarded by being allowed to play with the bubbles as they wish for a minute or two.

I must say that some parents have complained about my using such as simple tool to motivate their children, since they expect to see sophisticated therapy equipment such as ball pools, trampolines, and suspended swings, but when working in the schools or in a child's home, complex equipment is not at all practical or realistic.  Bubbles are a fun, cheap, and easy way to help children learn their gross motor skills!

2 comments:

  1. Best. item. ever! I'm a pediatric OT and use bubbles everyday! Love your blog! I just started one of my own..check it out!
    www.littlehandslovebig.wordpress.com
    :)Be blessed,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely check out your blog. =) Blessings to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete