I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

I'm not just a PT, I'm also a parent!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Thank You, Senator Santorum.

All politics aside, I have to thank Senator Rick Santorum for his strong defense of the unborn and those with disabilities during tonight's GOP convention speech.  I have frequently wondered why people with "acquired" disabilities are viewed as courageous, tenacious, and strong; while many unborn children with congenital disorders are considered burdensome and disposable.  To me, the only difference between the two groups is location -- outside the womb vs. inside the womb.  As someone whose practice ranges from early intervention to skilled nursing, I have worked with people from all stages of life and with widely ranging abilities, and can say that every single one of these people has had value and dignity.  Whether it is helping a child to be able to simply roll over or take those special first steps or helping someone return home to end life with dignity while surrounded by loved ones, I work my hardest to help all my patients reach their goals.

So, thank you Senator Santorum for acknowledging the inherent dignity in every person, born or unborn.  Thank you for sharing how your beautiful daughter Bella has touched so many lives.  Thank you for being living proof that choosing life is always rewarding, however difficult the choice may be.

Rick and Bella Santorum

I look forward to hearing what the Democratic Party has to say about this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment